Homestead Picture Update 4-12

We had a bad cold snap last night, but luckily it seems most of my plants made it out just fine. I think it has been about two weeks since I did an update though so, I figured it was long overdue. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Some of you may remember the Square Foot Gard I created for someone a few weeks ago. When I started it was just a weed patch and I made it look like the picture below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, I went back and filled it in with dirt and created a couple trellises. The homeowner also put some plants in and laid down pine-straw around the outside to prevent weeds from coming up. There is an update just below.  If you live in the Metro Atlanta area and like what you see, but don’t want to do the work yourself then I am available for hire. I live between Marietta and Kennesaw, but can travel anywhere in the area. Just email me at roswell@makingahomestead.com to discuss things in more detail.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, on to my own garden.

You may recall the picture of Bok Choy I posted a while back. Well, it was highly overdue to be thinned out.  Unfortunately, I chose to do so right before a surprise cold snap last night. The first picture below is the original and the second is after thinning it. I’ll have to keep an eye on them in the next few days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Also, I was pleased to see my blueberry bushes are finally putting blueberries on. Sorry, the picture came out a little fuzzy since it focused on the leaves rather than the berries.

 

First the blooms…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And now the berries…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was pleased to see my stevia has returned.  Where there was one plant, there are now 3.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My elephant garlic and shallots have started to put on scapes. This is the flowering part of the plant and the tastiest in my opinion. I chop them into 3 inch lengths and saute in balsamic vinegar.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also harvested some oregano and rosemary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lastly, my roses are in bloom.  I am seriously considering trying my hand at rose-hip jelly.  I definitely have an abundance.  :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Until next time, keep Making a Homestead, one day at a time.

Share

Leave a Reply

  

  

  

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>